- Bioexperimentation Service price list 2019
- Especific Form, for Bioexperimentation: doc – pdf
- Operational standards (Spanish): pdf
Contact: +34 986 818 678
Marina Peña Penabad, veterinary. firstname.lastname@example.org
Vanesa Dominguez Lorenzo, technician. email@example.com
Marisol Rodríguez Feijoo, technician. firstname.lastname@example.org
new ABSL-2 area
It is located at the Bioexperimentation facilities, created to housing animals to be infected with risk 1 or 2 pathogens or Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) risk 1 or 2.
It has all the structural requirements for this kind of units (air filtration, pressure systems, interlock doors, etc….), as well as all the necessary equipment to fulfil the secure accommodation of these animals and the maintenance of the required biosecurity barriers. For further information, see RD 664/97 regulations about the workers protection against the risks related to biological agent exposition during their professional activity.
This facility has working licence emitted by the Spanish State Biosecurity Commission, being allowed to work with risk 2 OMGs, and relies on a FAO/OMS report classifying it as an ABSL-2+ (Biosecurity level 2+).
The Bioexperimentation Service of the University of Vigo (Sbio) was created to fulfill the needs of researchers working with animal models.
- The facilities are within Cinbio, and has seven housing rooms in the clean area; three of them with specific pathogen-free (SPF) The housing area, is specially designed to accommodate rats and mice; with materials and equipment that fit all the requirements established by the legislation regarding housing conditions of laboratory animals (RD 53/2013).
- The facility also has an operating room for conducting experimental procedures, an area for metabolism studies and areas for pre-anesthesia and animal recovery after operations.
- The cleaning area equipment maintains the barrier between clean and dirty spaces, in order to keep controlled the microbiological status of the enclosed animals.
- This Service offers from just animal housing to the whole range of experimental procedures, under strict controlled conditions, following the Three Rs guiding principles for more ethical use of animals in research experiments.
Animal experimentation plays a fundamental role in the discovery of the underlying biological mechanisms in the disease and in the development of medical treatments. Without animal research, we would not have most of the medications, antibiotics, vaccines and surgical techniques that are currently in use, concerning human and veterinary medicine.
Links to documents of interest:
- Project authorization – Ethics Committee Docs – Transparency Agreement and ARRIVE guidelines on in vivo experiments.