Professor Ana Gago-Martínez
(PhD, Analytical Chemistry)
|+34 986 812 284|
|Web Analytical & Food Chemistry|
Head of the group “Chemical Análisis of aquatic biotoxins, environmental and food pollutants” (CI8 group).
Ph.D in Analytical Chemistry from the University of Vigo (1992). Postdoctoral studies at the Institute of Marine Biosciences (National Research Council, Halifax, Canada) and also at the Food Research Division of Health Canada (Ottawa) (1993-1995)
Visiting scientist in several Universities and Research Centers in the EU and USA, among others: University of Jena, Germany, Institute of Marine Research, Bergen, Norway, Instituto Ricardo Jorge, Portugal, Cork Institute of Technology, Ireland, etc) focused on method development for algal toxins and more recently has been introduced to a new research area, working in the development and optimization of sample pretreatment procedures, as well as Mass Spectrometric methods for Proteomics at the University of California San Francisco, USA.
She has been Involved in many research projects through both National and EU funding and published extensively in the field of phycotoxins analysis.
She has supervised 20 Doctoral Thesis and more than 30 research projects for Master Degree based on the research areas above mentioned.
She chairs the Task Force of the Community of marine and freshwater toxins at the International Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC International)
Since 2009 she shares responsibilities as Professor at the Analytical Chemistry and Food Department of the University of Vigo in Spain and Director at the EU Reference Laboratory for Marine Biotoxins.
Group of Analytical and Food Chemistry (University of Vigo)
The Group of Analytical and Food Chemistry is specialized in the development of modern techniques for the analysis of organic contaminants in seafood samples. The main working areas are:
- Determination of organic contaminants pollutants in water and in seafood: development of analytical methods for the determination and confirmation of organic pollutants (HAPs, PCBs, BFRs, alkylphenols, etc..)
- Development and validation of analytical methods for the determination and confirmation of algal toxins
- Analytical immunochemistry: development of immunochemistry based analytical strategies for the sample pretreatment of complex matrices and also for specific or selective inmuno- based assays.
- Clinical analytical proteomics: development of analytical strategies for the proteomic analysis of plasma, serum and tissues with therapeutical and clinical diagnostics purposes.
This Group offers a series of technological services:
- Extraction techniques (Soxlhet extraction, ultrasonic extraction, microwaves, solid phase extraction, solid phase microextraction, immunoaffinity solid phase extraction).
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC): UV/diode array, fluorescence and Mass Spectrometry (MS) detection modes.
- Capillary Electrophoresis (CE): UV/diode array and Mass Spectrometry (MS) detection modes.
- Gas Chromatography (GC).
- Other detection modes: Flame Ionization Detection (FID) and Mass Spectrometry (MS).
- Immunochemical techniques: ELISA and immunoaffinity based extraction and purification techniques.